As men, we all like to think we know what we’re doing when it comes to the best men’s hairstyle. After all, we’ve been wearing them our whole lives. We’ve been through several different style eras, wearing the best and the worst fashion has to offer. But did you know we’re all probably making the same mistakes with our hair? You might be causing more damage to your hair than you realize.
Avoid these 5 common men’s hairstyle mistakes:
- Take it easy on your scalp! We all get a little to vigorous when we’re in a hurry or have a big date. We want to make sure we’re getting our hair CLEAN and we can get a little rough. When you scrape your scalp with your nails or fingertips you can be harming hair follicles – slowing growth – or scratching your scalp and increasing your dandruff chances.
- Don’t wash too often. Most of us wash our hair every day. You’ve probably heard it before, and it’s hard to follow, but you should only be washing 2-3 times a week. Over-washing will strip away the natural oils that protect your hair. This will make your hair weak, dry and brittle, causing it to break.
- Drop the 2-in-1 act. You think you’re saving time and money by buying your shampoo and conditioner combos, but you’re doing it wrong. For the shampoo to clean properly, its job is to open the pores on your scalp and your hair cuticles to remove excess dirt, oil and grime. The conditioner then closes those cuticles and pores to keep everything cleaner longer. If they’re both in the same bottle, working on your hair at the same time, neither is actually doing what it’s supposed to.
- A little product goes a long way. It’s easy to think that more product will provide more control over your hair. This isn’t necessarily true. Many men will put the product in while their hair is wet. Unless these are the specific instructions for the product, that’s usually not going to work. If you don’t at least towel-dry your hair first, the water still in your hair will dilute the product. Then when it dries it can look greasy or clumpy, and do the opposite of what you want it to do.
- You CAN ask for help. In the name of saving money or saving face, guys will buy color and try to cover the grays or change the color entirely at home. Just because you CAN color your hair blonde or black, doesn’t mean you SHOULD. This also goes for choosing the best men’s hairstyle. What looks good on David Beckham may not work for your face shape, your lifestyle, your type of hair. There are plenty of places where you can walk in and tell them to cut your hair in a certain way and they will do it, whether it makes you look good or not.
The stylists at Signature Male Salon will always put you first. They have the experience and the knowledge to get you looking and feeling better when you leave than you did when you walked in. They are well-versed in these men’s hairstyle mistakes and can guide you to avoiding them entirely. Signature Male offers the best shampoos, conditioners and styling products for nearly any hair type and style. You don’t have to navigate the wild world of men’s hairstyle and care alone.